Monday, November 20, 2006

Getting Ready



In three days me and four of my guests will be sitting down to a feast that will be over in less than 60 minutes. They will all eat what I hope to be a delicious meal. All consuming flavors that make their tongues wanting more and filling up their belly's until they can barely think about every eating again.

In most instances not one of these guests has any idea how many hours went into this preparation. Please don't get me wrong the KB is not complaining. The KB is hear to educate in hopes of providing you with an appreciation of this meal we call Thanksgiving.

My meal has been in the planning stages for at least one month. First, the decision was made as to whether or not I would undertake this wonderful meal. After going back an forth the second big decision was who will have the pleasure of enjoying the fruits of the KB's labor. After much thought I decided it was going to be a very intimate meal to be enjoyed by myself, my partner, and the rest of the guests would be chosen by my housemate. After all she is my family and has her own extended family with whom she wanted to enjoy this day of thanks with. It just so happens that both of her guests are not American and don't celebrate this day, but maybe that is best as they will appreciate the food all that much more.

For weeks I have been reviewing the many magazines I received, looking over past meals, checking out articles in the food section of the newspaper, watching cooking demos on morning news programs, hoping to find just the right dishes to prepare for my feast. What can I do to make this a very unique and memorable turkey day. One that your mother didn't make for you growing up but a new Thanksgiving with a modern twist.

Sure there will be the turkey, stuffing, potato, vegetables and of course dessert. But who wants something that you can just go and pay $100 already prepared from Whole Foods. O.k. so maybe my meal isn't so unique but you be the judge:
  • Pomegranate martinis
  • Roasted chestnuts with cumin salt
  • Butternut squash and apple soup
  • Wild mushroom stuffing
  • Port wine gravy
  • Herb roasted Willie Bird (http://www.williebird.com/) brined of course
  • Mashed potatoes with sour cream, horseradish and chives
  • Sweet potatoe sticks
  • Roasted organic cauliflower with lemon mustard sauce
  • Grated roasted Brussels spouts with Parmesan and hazelnut
  • Petite peas with roasted mushrooms and shallots
  • Cranberry and kumquat relish
  • Dinner rolls
  • Mini pumpkin cheese cakes with cinnamon cream
  • Rum raisin apple pie
It is now three days before the big day and only one more trip to the grocery store is necessary. Most all the ingredients were purchased over the weekend by going to the local farmers market. The turkey will be picked up at the local Deli on Wednesday to then be plunged into a large brine mixture in hopes of retaining the moistness that most childhood turkeys lacked. (Well then again we always had Butterball with the little pop up thermometer.)


The linens have all been picked out and purchased, this took two trips to the store because the first cloth was too small, and then the napkins weren't to my liking so the entire look was changed. They now only have to be washed and ironed. The flowers will be purchased on Tuesday morning and put together for centerpieces that evening. If all goes well the meal preparations will begin on Tuesday night and continue right up until the guests arrive. The goal is to not have too much to finish so that I may too enjoy my time with my guests.

I am fortunate to have a friend who works in the wine industry. I took a trip to Sonoma to pick up the wine that will accompany my meal. I choose a 2004 Pinot Noir from Sonoma County. It is from Chateau St. Jean. Yet another fabulous wine from this vineyard. I have also purchased a white for those who still think you can't have red with turkey.

As you can see there is lots of time spent on the details of the meal. It isn't just something you can throw together. When the KB plans a meal of the importance there is lots of love that goes into it. So the next time you enjoy a meal prepared by someone else, take a moment and really appreciate the effort which was put into that work of art you are about to bite into. In most instances it wasn't just the preparation but the planning of every detail. And for those of you who pay to have a meal of this nature catered you will now understand why you are paying a bit more than you expected, it just isn't about the ingredients.

Gobble Gobble from KB!





No comments: